Friday, February 26, 2010

introducing... william

this here is william. a sweet little fawn, so pure and innocent. even though it has been almost a year since the album came out, this piece is actually inspired by the decemberists' album the hazards of love. in case you do not know the story behind the album, part of it is that margaret falls in love with william, who can turn into a fawn.


most of the story takes place in the forest, hence the tree, and references are made to various flowers, including the columbine, which i included in the form of a lantern bloom on the chain.


for this album, shara worden of the band my brightest diamond joined the decemberists. she sings the part of william's mother, who is the (badass) queen of the forest. in a song she sang a couple years before the hazards of love, she says this:


he is going to be hard for me to part with...


i also made his brother...


this necklace is called "like the glimmer of the fawn...

there is something about a fawn-- so angelic, pristine, wide-eyed and radiant...
so elusive and shy. if you are lucky enough to catch a glimmer of one, it stays with you, imbuing you with some of those qualities, even if only for an instant.



i also didn't want the sweet deer in town to feel like they were getting slighted and i was only making jewelry to pay homage to their big cousins. speaking of which, cinder is the winner of the elk search contest! yay! congratulations! the answers were photo #1 - three elk, photo #2 - one elk, photo #3 three elk, photo #4- four elk. please e-mail me, silversparrowdesigns@gmail.com, to tell me what size you would like your earrings to be and to give me your address!

3 comments:

susie said...

Love the sweet fawns, they feel like spring. Really looking forward to seeing a heron though-we went on vacation a few years ago, and when we got back I realized I had taken dozens of pictures of the herons wading in the waters. I've got my stones spread out in front of me while I work my day job today, they'll make my Saturday at work speed by a bit faster and offer a welcome distraction. Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Kristi, do you ever sleep? Your creative energy is amazing.

Also, I tagged you on my blog. Go check it out.

xxoo
Rachel

Cinder said...

Wow! I am so excited that I won! That was a creative contest and fun to play.
I am looking forward to wearing my new earrings!
I sent an email with the info you requested.
Thank you , thank you, thank you!